Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Booklet from Merle's funeral




Celebrating the life of
Merlin P. Owen

November 12, 1926 - March 27, 2009
Spring Hill, Florida
Merlin P. Owen, son of Mable B. Owen McCabe and Merlin P. Owen Sr., passed away on March 27, 2009. He was 82 years old. He is survived by his beloved wife Patricia (Trish) Koehler Owen, a much loved daughter Karen Nelsen of Gainesville FL, two grand-daughters, Jodi Owen of the town of Newburgh, Christine Owen of the town of New Windsor, two great grand sons and several nieces and nephews in NY and FL. He is predeceased by his son John Owen (Johnny O) of Newburgh, NY, a brother Robert Owen of St Augustine, FL, and a sister Gladys Signarino of Richmond VA. Mr. Owen was an electrician for the DuPont Co. of Newburgh for 17 years. He was also employed by IBM at the East Fishkill facility for 21 years, until he retired from the Facilities Engineering Department. Mr. Owen was a veteran of WW II. He served as a radioman aboard the USS LST 821 for 2 years in the Pacific Ocean theater of operations. In 1951, he was recalled for the Korean war. He served with the Tactical Air Control Squadrons 4 & 6 as a Forward Observer. Mr. Owen, a Master Mason, was a 50 plus year member of Wallkill Lodge #627 F&AM, a charter member of the Winona Lake Fire Co., a member of the ARRL with a general class license, call letters of KC4LPG, a life member in the VFW and the DAV. Burial will be at the Bushnell National cemetery in Bushnell, FL with full military honors. Condolences may be sent to Mrs. Merlin Owen at 12132 Norvell Road, Spring Hill FL 34609.

Sub note…Strange feeling to write your own obit, lol. Love ya baby, I’ll be your special angel, or the head fireman in hell. MWAH!!!!! Get on with your life my babies. Don’t mourn me too long please. Thank you both for all the happiness you gave me.

Merle was a man of faith. He believed in the cause for Blessed Stanislaus Papczynski. In Merle’s memory please join us in continuing to further his cause toward sanctification.

Prayer
Our Lord and God, grant us this grace… through the intercession of Blessed Stanislaus that I may be marked by unwavering trust in You, especially when You lead me upon a thorny path toward the glorious promises of Your love. Through Christ our Lord.
Amen

Thank You
The pain of loss can never be removed but it can be lessened by the love and support of my family and friends.

Thanks to all who have helped me through this unbelievable time of shock, loss and pain. Thank you so much for your support and love.

I could not have gotten all the planning necessary for this day without Karen and the help of my family and dear friends. I am grateful for your outpouring of love.

How can I begin to thank my dearest friend and light of my life, Merle, for 21 years of love and the love of adventure. He was my anchor and rock of stability, bringing peace to my often chaotic world.

As expressed in our special song we shared, “One love, ageless and evergreen.”
I love you all,
Trish

14 comments:

Florence's Art said...

Thank you for sharing this with us Trish. He sure accomplished a lot in his life. Know that we are thinking of you. Take care.

Donna Mulholland said...

I too thank you for sharing this. Know that my thoughts are with you and your family. (And I'm sure Merle is your special angel.)

Kate (Cathy Johnson) said...

Trish, that's a beautiful tribute. Merle must have been a very special human being. It IS hard to be the one left behind--you have my thoughts and prayers in this difficult time.

winna said...

Since I have written my own obit, it was good for me to read his. Beautiful job and thankyou for sharing it, I am sure you will hear a lot of this particular phrase...all heartfelt

Rhonda L. Cooper said...

Bless you and your family with lots of hugs. Thank you for sharing this with us. Take care of yourself.

Carol said...

So beautiful. I have thought of you often and my prayers are with you. Your Meryl had a great smile. Please take care of yourself.

Margaret Ann said...

Wishing you peace and light...a beautiful tribute Trish.

Mary Elizabeth said...

I love you Trish and Karen and I'll dearly miss my Papa O. You are in my thoughts and prayerss.

Aveen said...

What a lovely tribute. I have to admit I shed a little tear reading it. RIP Merle.

Trish, hope you're doing ok. You are in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Trish our thoughts and prayers are with you. i have read the obit and he was a remarkable person, thank you for sharing with us your deepest feelings. I send both you and your daughter and big healing hug..

Kay

Revelle Taillon said...

No words from us can bring you comfort right now. Close your eyes after each cry, feel God's arms around you and say "All is well". It will help you get through the next few hours. It helped me stay sane through the tears when I lost my son. God be with you.
Revelle

Kaine said...

Thanks for sharing as I am sure it was very hard. I agree with the other comment about his great smile. He looked to be a very happy guy :)

You and your family are in my thoughts.

Carol said...

So sad yet we all will meet again.. My soul mate and I never got the opportunity to Marry and spend a beautiful life together .. It was halted by Cancer.. We decided to stay soul mates and leave it there.. I never left his side through the almost 2 years he had since his news.. He was a very religious and Faithful Man .. Like your husband he planned his own funeral.. Jerry came in to my life too late but the time we had together was like a lifetime.. I feel certain we will be together one day.. A promise he made to me and I to him..
Thank you so much for sharing your story .. although I know it is still continuing as he would want it to be.. You are such a wnderful and loving woman ,I know he loved you dearly for being there through the good and the bad times.. Hang on to the good ones.. If we had not seen the bad ones they would have been unknown..
Honestly trish .. I am here should you ever need to just talk it out ..
Bless you and yours this Easter..
Carol

Mrs.J said...

Trish,

We all miss him very much and the short time I knew him, he touched my heart everytime I heard his voice. He had a way of making you feel like a million bucks no matter how he felt. Thanks for sharing this post.